Saturday, April 26, 2008

Questions (#4): Monday, April 28, 2008

1) He sang lead for this country-rock flavored band in the early 80s, having a hit with “Let Me Love You Tonight. Who is the lead singer who went on to superstardom in country music and what was the name of the group for which he sang lead?
(5 points each) 10

2) What is Chaka Khan’s real name?
(3 points) 13

3) The Dixie Cups hit the top of the charts with Chapel of Love. Who was their legendary producer and for whom was the song originally written?
(5 points each) 23

4) They discovered her and hired her as a backup singer with the stage name, Harlette, in 1971. Her 1973 debut album, Home to Myself, revealed a co-writer who was prominent on the album. Who discovered her, who is the artist that was discovered and who is the co-writer?
(1 point for each person who discovered her, 3 points for the artist’s name who was discovered and 5 points for the co-writer) 33

5) He was born in Teaneck, NJ in 1940 and died in DeKalb, TX in 1985. Who was he?
(4 points) 37

6) This album went gold in the United States and won a Grammy in 1974 for Best Pop Instrumental Performance after the title track was used as the theme song for what movie? Name the artist, album title and movie.
(2 points for the artist, 3 points for the album title, 1 point for the movie title) 43

7) During the period from 1958 until the Beatles emerged in 1964, she had 35 Top 40 hits including 3 Number#1s. Who is she?
(4 points) 47

8) The original members were Tony Butala, Bob Engemann and Jim Pike when they formed in 1960. What group did they form?
(10 points) 57

9) They were composed of Tim Torrance on guitars, Mitch Crane on vocals and guitars, Michael Carey Schneider on vocals and keyboards, Mike Hughes on drums, Michael Cottage on bass and Jim King on keyboards, synthesizers and vibes. Despite being together from 1973 – 1982, they only had 1 Top 40 hit and that was in 1981. Who is the band and what is the name of their hit?
(5 points each) 67

10) Who wrote these lyrics, what group had a hit with them and what’s the name of the song?

Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship,
My senses have been stripped,
My hands can't feel to grip,
My toes too numb to step,
Wait only for my boot heels to be wanderin'.
I'm ready to go anywhere,
I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade,
Cast your dancing spell my way,
I promise to go under it.
(4 points each) 79

11) He had 4 singles reach the Top 20 from his 1981 album. Who is the artist, what are the titles of the singles and what is the name of the album?
(3 points each) 97

12) Before Joe Walsh became an Eagle, he had a hit, Walk Away, with another band. What is the name of that band?
(3 points) 100

6 comments:

Malcolm said...

1. Vince Gill, Pure Prairie League

2. Yvette Marie Stevens

3. Phil Spector, The Ronettes

4. Ike & Tina Turner discovered Bette Midler and Barry Manilow was the writer

5. Rick Nelson

6. Marvin Hamlisch, The Entertainer, The Sting

7. Connie Francis

8. The Letterman

9. Chilliwack, My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone)

10. Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Mr. Tambourine Man

11. Rick Springfield (Jessie's Girl, Love Is Alright Tonite, Don't Talk To Strangers, I Get Excited), Working Class Dog

12. The James Gang

Malcolm said...

Oops, for #8 I forgot to pluralize The Letterman (I meant to type The Lettermen).

X. Dell said...

Most are pure guesses, but....

1. Vince Gill--Pure Prairie League (fellow Buckeyes).

2. Yvette Stevens (or Stephens?)

3. I'd say the producer was Phil Spector, and if so the subject of the song might have been his future wife, Veronica (Ronnie Spector).

4. Dunno.

5. Ricky Nelson?

6. I would guess Marvin Hamlisch (sp?), "The Entertainer," and "The Sting."

7. I'm guessing Theresa Brewer (after all, she covered nearly everybody).

8. Um, The Satellites?

9. Pure guess--Toto ("Africa")

10. I can't even guess on this.

11. Hmm...Neil Diamond? The Jazz Singer? "Hello, Again, Hello," "American," "Heartlight?" "Do You Know What I Mean?"????

12. Well, since I'm guessing, how about Parliament/Funkadelic?

Just kidding. Funny thought, though.

Editor said...

Malcolm,

You got a majority of them correct. #4 was close. You missed #9 outright. However, I have not researched your answer on #11, meaning that it could coincidentally be correct. But my answer was totally different.

Editor said...

x. dell,

Good guesses and besides, it's all in fun.

Malcolm said...

After submitting my answers, I checked the Internet for confirmation on some of my responses. Even though I figured my answer for #4 was wrong, I decided to put something down. When I found the answer, it made perfect sense.

I never would have guessed #9 in a billion years. As for #11, I blew that one. I was thinking that I was forgetting a big hit by Rick off "Working Class Dog". When nothing came to me, I put "I Get Excited", even though I wasn't sure if this was from the "Working Class Dog" album or if it hit top 20... turns out I was wrong on both counts.

After finding the track info for "Working Class Dog", I could have kicked myself... the song I couldn't think of was "I've Done Everything For You"!

Great job once again, I will see back here on Wednesday.