Monday, May 19, 2008

Questions (#14): Wednesday, May 21, 2008

1) After Joe Cocker’s cover of “With a Little Help from My Friends,” this was the first song to play on the first episode of the television series The Wonder Years. It was also prominent in Forrest Gump nearly three decades after it was originally recorded. What is the title of the song?
(10 points) 10

2) The 1993 movie The Three Musketeers featured the song “All For One” performed by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting. Besides Adams, who co-wrote the song?
(5 points each) 20

3) Who wrote the lyrics to the following song and what is the title? (The lyrics turned out to be a litany of things the writer did not believe in.
(5 points each) 30


I don't believe in magic,

I don't believe in I-ching,

I don't believe in Bible,

I don't believe in tarot,

I don't believe in Hitler,

I don't believe in Jesus,

I don't believe in Kennedy,

I don't believe in Buddha,

I don't believe in mantra,

I don't believe in Gita,

I don't believe in yoga,

I don't believe in kings,

I don't believe in Elvis,

I don't believe in Zimmerman,

I don't believe in Beatles

4) In 2004, Shania Twain released two versions of “Party For Two,” a country version and a pop version. Who sang with her on the country version and on the pop version?
(5 points each) 40

5) 1974 saw way more than its share of pathetic songs that went to Number #1. Who performed the following: Seasons in the Sun, Billy Don’t be a Hero, The Night Chicago Died, Rock Me Gently and Kung Fu Fighting?
(2 points each) 50

6) Ray Parker Jr. was the subject of a copyright infringement lawsuit for his song “Ghostbusters” because it sounded too similar to what song by what artist?
(5 points each) 60

7) On July 1st, 2006, he had the Number #1 song in the country (okay, so we had bad taste). However, he was recently dropped by his record label (no surprise there). Who is the singer and what is the title of his bland pop song?
(5 points each) 70

8) There have been several major hits with the words “______ in a Bottle” in the title of the song. Name three of those words and the artists who performed them.
(12 points) 82

9) She co-starred in 3 Elvis movies: Girl Happy (1965), Spinout (1966) and Clambake (1967). She also had her own Number #1 hit in 1962. Who is she?
(8 points) 90

10) She’s a movie star who has recorded with Huey Lewis and with Kenneth Edmunds. Who is she?

(10 points) 100

8 comments:

pjazzypar said...

1. Turn, Turn, Turn, by the Byrds. Wonder Years is one of my all time favorites.

2. ? I am going to say Sting.

3. John Lennon

4. Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray sang on the pop version, I don’t know who sang on the country version.

5. Terry Jacks, Paper Lace, Paper Lace, ?, Carl Douglas,

6. Huey Lewis, I Want a New Drug

7. Taylor Hicks – Do I Make You Proud (another Idol loses his record deal)

8. Time in a Bottle – Jim Croce, Genie in a Bottle – Christina Aguilera, Message in a Bottle – The Police.

9. Shelley Fabares

10. Gwyneth Paltrow

Editor said...

pjazz,

Excellent showing....

Malcolm said...

Whew, this was a toughie!

1. Turn, Turn, Turn
2. Dianne Warren
3. John Lennon, The Dream Is Over
4. Hank Williams Jr, Steven Tyler
5. Terry Jacks, Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods, Paper Lace, Andy Kim, and Carl Douglas
6. I Want A New Drug by Huey Lewis and the News
7. Taylor Hicks, I Can Move Mountains (I’m just making up song titles now, lol)
8.Message In A Bottle by The Police, Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce, and Genie In A Bottle by Christina Aguilera
9. Shelley Fabares
10. Gwyneth Paltrow

Editor said...

malc,

You did quite well...

pjazzypar said...

I knew the title of the John Lennon song. I half read the question.

Editor said...

malc & pjazz,

You're doing phenominally well on these quizzes. You may miss one or two, but by and large, you know your stuff.

Remember, though most questions are from the 70s, they do span from 1956 through today, 52 years worth of music and that's a lot to know.

pjazzypar said...

Thanks Editor, Music is a passion of mine and I even like some of the cheesier fare that you and Malcolm refer to as abysmal.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.