Thursday, May 29, 2008

Questions (#17): Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sorry for the delay (a little too much fun on an extended Memorial Day weekend). Here is yesterday's quiz with the answers posted around 6 PM/EDT this evening to give everyone a chance. Back on schedule tomorrow.

Let me know if it's too challenging or too easy...or just right. And I hope you are having fun with it. Believe me, it shouldn't be "like work."

1) He was the vocalist for Elvin Bishop and then went over to Jefferson Starship, who changed their name to simply Starship when Grace Slick left. Who is he?
(10 points) 10

2) This song was originated in 1973, where it went to Number #3 on the charts and again in 1985, where it hit Number #16. To give you the name of either group would give it away. What’s the title?
(10 points) 20

3) On September 22, 1969, ABC premiered a new television series about pop and rock music with occasional comedy sketches. The show had several co-hosts, but primarily David Steinberg. The oddity about the show was that it was a 45 minute show. This could partially explain why the last episode ran on January 12, 1970. But it was a ground-breaking program. Name that show.
(10 points) 30

4) He performed under his own name until 1966, when he changed it to avoid confusion with another popular singer by the same name. (Hint: the other popular singer was also from the UK and at that time was part of a group).
(10 points) 40

5) In the 70s these two half- brothers with the same last name both originated as teen idols and later went on to star as actors and producers. Who are they?
(5 points each) 50

6) Van Dyke Parks co-wrote songs (primarily lyrics) with what famous songwriter?
(10 points) 60

7) They were a very popular trio in 1990, but after the relative failure of their 2nd album in 1992 (if you can call 1 million in sales “failure”) they broke up. Who are they?
(10 points) 70

8) She is the last living member of this phenomenal group from the 1960s who later went on to a successful acting career. Who is she?
(10 points) 80

9) Everyone probably knows the 5 original Beach Boys. Do you know the names of the other two people who were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as Beach Boys?
(5 points each) 90

10) These ladies also achieved major success as a trio, though they we originally a quartet. Their biggest year was arguably 1984. Who are they?
(10 points) 100

6 comments:

Malcolm said...

Hello Editor: When it comes to the degree of difficulty of the questions, I think you do a good job of balancing the easy/medium/hard.

1. Mickey Thomas
2. Smokin' In the Boys Room
3. The Music Scene
4. David Jones changed his name to David Bowie so that he wouldn't be confused with David (Davy) Jones of The Monkees
5. David and Shaun Cassidy
6. Brian Wilson
7. Wilson Phillips
8. Michelle Phillips
9. Bruce Johnston and David Marks
10. The Pointer Sisters

Editor said...

malc,

Congratulations! Your first perfect score! I'll post the answers later tonight.

Editor

pjazzypar said...

Hi Editor, The questions are just right. It's not suppose to be work, but it should be challenging enough to keep me coming back. I keep returning! I missed you yesterday.

1) Mickey Thomas

2) One Night Affair?

3) Music Scene


4) David Jones changed his name to David Bowie

5) David and Shaun Cassidy

6) Brian Wilson
7) Bell, Biv and Davoe
8) Michelle Phillips

9) Bruce Johnston, and David Marks

10) The Pointer Sisters

pjazzypar said...

Hey Malcolm, Congratulation on your perfect score! Hopefully my day I will join you (lol). Not likely to happen, but I am "keeping hope alive".

Malcolm said...

Thanks Pjazzy. I thought you had gotten a perfect score in the past. If not, I know you came close. #2 had me wracking my brain, I can't even remember what led me to come up with the answer.

Malcolm said...

Thanks Editor! I was jonesing w/o my normal Wednesday dose of music trivia. However, I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.