Sunday, July 6, 2008

Questions (#35): Wednesday, July 9, 2008

1) Name the duet partners.
(5 points each) 10

“Baby (You Got What It Takes)”
“A Rockin’ Good Way”

2) Everyone knows about Led Zeppelin’s hit, “Stairway To Heaven.” But do you know the artist who had a hit by the same name in 1960?
(10 points) 20

3) He wanted to “turn back the hands of time.” Who is he?
(10 points) 30

4) He went “sailing” in 1980, gathered a bunch of Grammys, and then sailed off into the sunset. Who is he?
(10 points) 40

5) America originated as a trio. Who dropped out to make them a duo?
(10 points) 50

6) Identify the song and artist by these lyrics.
(5 points each) 60

Singing in the subway
Shuffle with a shoe shine
Fix me a Molotov
I'm on the headline

7) In 1983, they produced their second album, Modern Romans. MTV played their single (The Walls Came Down” in heavy rotation. Who is the group?
(10 points) 70

8) Irene Cara has huge hits in which two movies in the early – mid 80s?
(5 points each) 80

9) Who are Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith?
(10 points) 90

10) They hit the jackpot with “I’ll Be There For You.” Who are they?
(10 points) 100

8 comments:

Malcolm said...

1. Dinah Washington and Brook Benton

2. Neil Sedaka

3. Tyrone Davis

4. Christopher Cross

5. Dewey Bunnell?

6. Pop Muzik by M?

7. The Call

8. Fame and Flashdance

9. Tears For Fears

10. The Rembrandts

pjazzypar said...

1. Dinah Washington and Brook Benton

2. Neil Sedaka, The Ojays also had a song with the same title on their “Family Reunion” album

3. Tyrone Davis

4. Christopher Cross

5. Dan Peek

6. Pop Muzik, ?

7. Bananarama?

8. Fame and Flashdance

9. Tears for Fears

10. There are 3 songs by 3 different acts with that title. I narrowed it down to two because I don’t think you are referring to Ashford and Simpson. So that leaves it between The Rembrandts and Bon Jovi. Eeny, meeny, miney, mo…The Rembrandts!

pjazzypar said...

Yesterday I meant to acknowledge Layla's beating Malcolm and I on the Led Zeppelin question. Way to go Layla!

BeckEye said...

1)

2)

3) I love this song. Unfortuanately, I can only remember the cover by Billy Price (local Pittsburgh blues singer). No idea on the original artist.

4) Christopher Cross

5) America originated as a trio. Who dropped out to make them a duo?
(10 points) 50

6) "Pop Muzik," M

7)

8) Fame, Flashdance and she also had a pretty big song in D.C. Cab!

9) Tears for Fears

10) The Rembrandts

Editor said...

malc,

good guess on number 5, but you only had a 33% chance if you were guessing. it's amazing how many people don't know the america has been a duo for the last 30 years. stellar job.

pjazz,

another solid performance, above and beyond. i had completely forgot about the O'Jays song and to be honest, had never even considered anything outside of the rembrants. my daughter has all 10 seasons of friends on dvd and i hear that song 2-3 times a day.

beck,

i'm falling down on the job here - i completely forgot about DC Cab (although if you've seen the movie, it's very forgettable. and i'm glad you like "Turn Back the Hands of Time." it's a GREAT song.

Excellent job today, folks. As I compile the questions, i ususally listen to the music and let me tell you, it is usually my favorite time of day.

Tomorrow: Fantastic FRIDAY. Have a great one!

pjazzypar said...

Editor, you have a good weekend and I will stop by on Monday.

Malcolm said...

Editor: Thanks! The only two America members I could come up with were Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell. Since I knew that Gerry didn't fly the coop, I went the other way. I wasn't even sure that I had Dewey's name right, lol.

The Irene Cara question had me stumped for a minute. I came up with Flashdance right away and had actually started to type D.C. Cab as my second answer. Even as I was typing, I was sure I was forgetting something obvious because Irene's song in D.C. Cab (The Dream) wasn't a huge hit. I don't know what triggered it, but Fame came to me shortly thereafter.

It sounds like you have as much fun putting together your quizzes as I do mine. I'll see you on Friday.

pjazzypar said...

Editor,
What am I thinking. I will see you on Friday.

Malcolm,
Fame was the first song I thought of by Irene Cara when I read the question. I don't even remember the song from D. C. Cab. She had another minor minor hit from Fame entitled "Out Here On My Own".