Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Questions (#41): Wednesday, July 23, 2008

1) The Isley Brothers and Stephen Stills recorded the same song that became a hit for both. Give me the title of the song and the artist that recorded it first.
(5 points each) 10

2) “Are You Ready” was a hit in 1970 for what group?
(10 points) 20

3) Identify these artists who described different men in their songs.
(2 points each) 30

“Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man”
“Solitary Man”
“Man In The Mirror”
“I’m Your Man”
“I’m A Man” (I’ll take the original artist or the remake)

4) Everybody knows that Elvis had a hit in 1956 with “Don’t Be Cruel.” Who else had a hit with the same song in 1988?
(10 points) 40

5) This artist had the “perfect way” in 1986.
(10 points) 50

6) Identify the song and the artist from these lyrics.
(5 points each) 60

When I hold you in my arms at night
Don't you know you're sleeping in the spotlight
And all your dreams that you keep inside
You're telling me the secrets
That you just can't hide

7) This “super” group was formed in 1989 and had former members of Night Ranger, Amboy Dukes and Styx. I’m looking for the name of 4 members plus the name of the group.
(2 points each) 70

8) She wrote this song in 1963 and it was a hit for another group of performers. She sang it herself in 1980 and it was a hit again. Name both artists (one was a group) and the title of the song.
(4 points for title, 3 each for artists) 80

9) I’m looking for the songwriters for a song written in 1974, but became Kim Carnes’ biggest hit of her career in 1981.
(Either songwriters’ name for 5 points and the title of the song for the other 5) 90

10) Since Beverly Hills 90210 is making a comeback this fall, I thought that I would throw this in. Pearl Jam did a video where 90210 appears as text as a part of the collage effect of the video. What is the title of the video?
(10 points) 100

8 comments:

Malcolm said...

1. Love the One You're With, Stephen Stills

2. Pacific Gas and Electric

3. The Allman Bros. Band, Neil Diamond, Michael Jackson, Wham, and The Spencer Davis Group

4. Bobby Brown

5. Scritti Politti

6. ?

7. Ted Nugent, Jack Blades, Tommy Shaw, ?, Damn Yankees

8. Carole King, The Drifters, Up On the Roof?

9. Jackie DeShannon, Bette Davis Eyes

10. Jeremy

Malcolm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pjazzypar said...

1. Summer Breeze, Seals & Croft

2. ?

3. Bob Seger, Neil Diamond, Michael Jackson, George Michael, Spencer Davis Group

4. Bobby Brown? It’s the same title, but not the same song

5. ?

6. Talking in Your Sleep, The Romantics

7. Damn Yankees, Ted Nugent ???

8. The Cookies and Carole King, One Fine Day

9. Bette Davis Eyes, Jackie DeShannon

10. Jeremy?

Malcolm said...

I misread the first song in question 3... damn it! After posting my answers, I Googled the song lyrics for question 6 and kicked myself. I was pretty sure that it was a song I knew by a male group from the 80s.

pjazzypar said...

Don't feel rained on Malcolm, I misread #1. I don't know where my mind is lately, but I am losing a step here. I know you thought the question was about "Ramblin Man". I thought I read Seals and Croft instead of Stephen Stills.

Malcolm said...

It looks like we both slipped on this one Pjazzy. When I saw your answer for #1, I had to go back to see if I had misread that one too. I only missed out on two points, so I'm not mad at all.

BeckEye said...

1)

2) ?

3) Allman Brothers
Neil Diamond
Michael Jackson
Wham!
Spencer Davis Group

4) Cheap Trick

5) Scritti Politti

6) "Talking in Your Sleep," The Romantics. (I call this "Talking in your Sthleep.")

7) Damn Yankees - Jack Blades, Tommy Shaw, Ted Nugent, and shoot I can't remember the other guy.

8) "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman" - Aretha Franklin and Carole King?

9) "Bette Davis Eyes," no idea who wrote it

10) "Jeremy"

Editor said...

malc & pjazz,

ya'll still do very well even though you miss one occasionally. the thing is, ya'll are incredibly versatile in your knowledge. some of this is real obscure stuff.

beck,

your sense of humor is scintillating and i enjoy reading your non-answers as much as anything. and to be honest, you do quite well for not having been raised in that era. when i read your blog, i sometimes feel pretty lost myself because i'm hardly an 80s afficianado, especially like you are. i admire you for trying.

i do have a request for your blog: i don't know if you were a big 90210 fan (my kids were GLUED to the television when it came on), but if you were, i for one would love to read your reviews on the updated version this fall on the CW network (i loathed that show, which is why i think it would make for entertaining reading).

Best to ya'll,
Editor