Sunday, June 22, 2008

Questions (#28): Monday, June 23, 2008

1) Name these duet partners.
(2 points each) 10

“I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)”
“Somewhere Out There”
“I Just Can’t Stop Loving You”
“What Have I Done To Deserve This”
“Surrender To Me”

2) For the week of December 3, 1988, they had the Number #1 song in the land with their abysmal medley of what two songs? Name the artist and the medley.
(5 points each) 20

3) He sang this song for the movie Buster in 1988. The song was originally released in 1965 and was a hit for the Mindbenders. Name the artist and song.
(5 points each) 30

4) This song is the story of the diverse members of a blue collar jazz band who just want to play their sound in a quaint little English club and could not care less about their popularity. One of their members is Guitar George. What is the name of the song? (Hint: is was a hit in 1979).
(10 points) 40

5) Both groups had a Number #1 song with this song title, but the songs were two completely different songs. The first was a hit in 1975. The second was a hit in 1977. Name the song title and the two different artists. (Hint: I’m torn because I think it may be too hard, so here it is – both groups name starts with the same letter).
(4 points for the title, 3 points each for the artists) 50

6) What is the formal name for the theme from Rocky and who is credited for the original soundtrack performance?
(5 points each) 60

7) This band just “Couldn’t Get It Right.” Who are they?
(10 points) 70

8) Identify the song and the artist by these lyrics.
(5 points each) 80

All through the morning rain
I gaze - the sun doesn't shine
Rainbows and waterfalls run through my mind
In the garden - I see west
Purple shower, bells and tea
Orange birds and river cousins dressed in green

9) Who are Danny Smythe (drums), John Evans (guitar, keyboards, backing vocals), Alex Chilton (lead vocals, guitar), Bill Cunningham (bass guitar, keyboards, backing vocals) and Gary Talley (lead guitar, electric sitar, bass guitar and backing vocals)?
(10 points) 90

10) This group performed a medley of the hits “Going Out Of My Head” and “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You.” Who are they?
(10 points) 100

6 comments:

Malcolm said...

1. Aretha Franklin and George Michael, James Ingram and Linda Ronstadt, Michael Jackson and Siedah Garrett, Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield, Ann Wilson and Robin Zander

2. Will To Power, Baby I Love Your Way/Free Bird Medley (Free Baby)

3. Phil Collins, Groovy Kind of Love

4. The Sultans of Swing

5. The Best of My Love by The Eagles and The Emotions

6. Gonna Fly Now, Bill Conti

7. The Climax Blues Band

8. Strawberry Letter 23, The Brothers Johnson

9. The Box Tops (one of my favorite bands of the 60s)

10. The Lettermen

pjazzypar said...

1. Aretha Franklin & George Michael; Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram; Michael Jackson & Siedah Garrett; ?; ?

2. ?

3. Phil Collins, “Groovy Kind of Love”

4. “Best Of My Love”, Emotions and Eagles

5. ?

6. “Gonna Fly Now”, Bill Conti

7. Climax Blues Band

8. “Strawberry Letter 23”, The Brothers Johnson

9. The Box Tops (I’ll bet Malcolm doesn’t miss this one)

10. Little Anthony & the Imperials

Editor said...

malc & pjazz,

I see that my fears of this trivia being too difficult are relatively unfounded. Ya'll did great.

I'm out of town today but will post the answers late tonight or tomorrow.

Have an EXCELLENT Monday...

BeckEye said...

1. George Michael and Aretha Franklin; Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram; Michael Jackson and some chick I can't recall; Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield; not sure of the last one

2. Will to Power, "Baby I Love Your Way/Free Bird"

3. Phil Collins (not Eddie Vedder, Malcolm!), "A Groovy Kind of Love"

4. "Sultans of the Swing"

5. ??

6. "Gonna Fly Now," artist??

7. ??

8. Sounds like a crappy American Idol single.

9. Oh hell, whatever band Alex Chilton was in before Big Star.

10. The Four Seasons?

Malcolm said...

Editor: Thanks! I had to dig deep into the crevices of my brain to come up with Ann Wilson and Robin Zander.

BeckEye: "Oh hell, whatever band Alex Chilton was in before Big Star."? You better stand up and recognize the greatness of The Box Tops!

pjazzypar said...

Thanks Editor

Hey Beckeye, Cut it out "Strawberry Letter 23" was the bomb!(smile)