Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Questions (#29): Wednesday, June 25, 2008

1) He is still considered a one hit wonder, but his hit “Into The Night” has charted twice – once in 1980 and again in 1989. Who is he?
(10 points) 10

2) This vocal group was in their prime from 1970 – 1976 and was primarily a product of Thom Bell’s production. Original members included James Dunn, Herbie Murrell, James Smith, Airrion Love and Russell Thomkins Jr. So as not to mislead you, they sang in configurations of four members and five members. Who are they?
(10 points) 20

3) His “Theme from A Summer Place” is a classic in many movies besides A Summer Place. Can you name the artist and the movie starring John Belushi that also used the song?
(5 points each) 30

4) What two female artists each had hits with the song “Paper Roses?” (Hint: the first was in 1960, the second was in 1973)
(5 points each) 40

5) This is a blues song written by Willie Dixon for Howlin’ Wolf, released on Chess Records as a B-side to “Wang Dang Doodle” in 1961. The Doors also did a cover. What is the title?
(10 points) 50

6) Identify the song and the artist from these lyrics.
(5 points each) 60

I made a motion and it’s out on the floor
And it’s a notion that I’d love to explore
Cause I been tastin’ the love you been wastin’
So baby wont you give it to me...

7) They had a hit in 1973 with “Wildflower.” Who were they?
(10 points) 70

8) This southern soul singer released the single “I Gotcha” in 1972. The song was mildly amusing. Who is he?
(10 points) 80

9) This band has been eligible for induction into the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame since 2000, but only one member (Gregg Rolie) has been inducted and that’s because he was formerly a member of Santana. Who are they?
(10 points) 90

10) She released an album by the title of Simple Things in 2003. Who is she?
(10 points) 100

12 comments:

Malcolm said...

1. Benny Mardones
2. The Stylistics
3. Percy Faith, National Lampoon's Animal House
4. Anita Bryant, Marie Osmond
5. Back Door Man?
6. ?
7. Skylark
8. Joe Tex
9. Journey
10. Emmylou Harris?

pjazzypar said...

1. Benny Mardones

2. Stylistics

3. Percy Faith, Animal House?

4. Anita Bryant and Marie Osmond

5. Backdoor Man

6. I know these lyrics, but I am drawing a complete blank

7. New Birth

8. Joe Tex

9. Journey (one of my favorites, especially the Steve Perry years)

10. Amy Grant

Editor said...

malc & pjazz,

The lyrics in today's quiz seemed to throw everyone. pjazz recalls them but drew a blank. The song was not a huge hit, but it was a hit and was also included on a "best of" LP as well as "greatest hits." But it did not fit in the genre with the band's other hits.

You both knew Benny Mardones and the Stylistics, which is further evidence that you know music (not to mention Joe Tex).

I'll post the answers tomorrow. Thanks for playing. These questions bring back a ton of great memories for me.

Best to you,
Editor

Malcolm said...

Editor: based on your comments, I am going to take a stab at #6. Is it Warm Ride by Rare Earth?

Malcolm said...

After posting, I looked it up and found that was wrong too. I have a strong feeling that it's by a rock band who jumped on the disco bandwagon. Here is another guess:

I Was Made For Loving You by Kiss

BeckEye said...

1) Benny Mardones. And thank you (not) for putting that song in my head...I'm sure it will take a while to go away!

2) The Spinners?

3)

4) Marie Osmond and ?

5) I know it's not Roadhouse Blues, but that's the only one coming to mind.

6)

7)

8)

9)

10) Amy Grant?

Editor said...

beck,

isn't it interesting how certain songs stick out in your mind (especially when you don't want them to), unlike Monday night's VERY forgettable Nashville Star? I don't think I can stand to watch that again, especially with that monsterous RICH ego.

malc,

good guesses, but you are probably overthinking it - or maybe I overestimated how big a hit it was...

Malcolm said...

Editor: On #6, I'm gonna have to cry uncle. I can't wait to see the answer.

Editor said...

One more hint on today's lyrics: I think the song was around in 1970 or 1971.

pjazzypar said...

Editor,

I think the lyrics are from a Bread song, but I still cannot remember the title. The Stylistics and Joe Tex were easy. I remember Joe performing that song on Soul Train. Great memories!

Malcolm said...

Editor: Based on hint regarding the year and Pjazzy mentioning that it might be a Bread song, I'm taking one last stab at it. When I worked at an oldies/nostalgia station, the DJ who did a weekend oldies program used to play a song called "Mother Freedom" by Bread. It stuck out because it was a big departure for the group.

Editor said...

malc & pjazz,

i'll give you the answer on this one in advance. first, congrats are due pjazz for knowing the group and congrats are due malc for your guess of "Mother Freedom."

as you know, bread was a soft ballad group slightly edgier than the carpenters, but not by much. while "Mother Freedom" was a departure, the song in question is "Let Your Love Go," which was either followed or preceded by their super ballad "If." "Let Your Love Go" was also a departure and David Gates attempt at rock. Unfortunately, it came off more like Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Get Down Baby," but hey, at least they tried...

excellent analytical skills and reasoning all the way around by both of you....